Thursday, December 29, 2005

Happy Go Lucky...

I'm so happy now, life is great, but I do have a certain illness that will haunt me for the rest of my life… Bipolar Disorder Syndrome…

Q: What is Bipolar Disorder?

A: The DSM-IV, or Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is used by all mental health professionals to determine whether or not a person is suffering from bipolar disorder. According to its definition, Bipolar Disorder is characterized by the occurrence of one or more Major Depressive Episodes accompanied by at least one Manic Episode. The criteria for each are as follows:

Major Depressive Episode (APA, 327)
A. Five or more of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest in pleasure.
(1) depressed mood most of the day nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful)
(2) markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day
(3) significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g. a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day
(4) insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day
(5) psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)
(6) fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day
(7) feelings of worthlessness or excessive inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)
(8) diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)
(9) recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide
B. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
C. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g. a drug abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g. hypothyroidism).
D. The symptoms are not better accounted for by Bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.

Manic Episode (APA 332)
A. A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary).
B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:
(1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
(2) decreased need for sleep (e.g. feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
(3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
(4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
(5) distractibility (i.e. attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
(6) increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
(7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g. engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)
C. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in social activities or relationships with other, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or if there are no other psychotic features.
D. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g. a drug abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g. hyperthyroidism).



In Short, It’s a type of mental illness that cause really BAD and LONG lasting Mood Swings… Like I said, I was in depression for almost 8 months after my best friend, A gone to Singapore and I couldn’t walk the path he chose, so I had to stay in HELP University College…

But right after my depression I became REALLY happy… if you were to try to rate my happiness from 1-10 mine would be 11, it’s extraordinary… because I have Bipolar Disorder Syndrome… It’s just too bad I have to stick to my medication for the rest of my life because I want to live a life without attactments… but now I got no choice but to get “attached” to my medication now…

I still love my girl ALLOT and wish that she will understand why I’m not pampering her to the MAX… our relationship is going to fast girl, we got to slow down… hope you will be reading this soon enough before we end up in another fight…

I love you girl, I really do, and I really want our relationship to last forever, but for now, it’s good enough… take care k? Love you girl, love my readers and most of all, I love god…

Hear my prayers, please let all friends of mine live a happy life and may all be at peace with thyself… take good care of all my friends and family and may them treat others nicely too…

No comments: