Monday, July 09, 2012

The Seven Deadly Sins

Also known as "The Seven Vices", is the seven behaviours that we are encouraged to avoid as children. Yesterday, I spoke to a good friend of mine and she said that she looks forward to meeting someone without vices.

I looked at myself and realized that she said that because there are no one in her life that is without vices, including me. It's been too long that I have forsaken the teachings of god and now I have decided to get back on the path. Starting by addressing these sins, one by one.

The Seven Deadly Sins:
Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

As bad as they may seem, we must already remember the opposite which are the Seven Virtues:
Temperance
Chastity
Temperance
Charity
Diligence
Patience
Kindness
Humility

When I was young, I cursed at myself whenever I gave in to these vices and forced myself to adopt the virtues. Later, I realized that we cannot be entirely without vices because they are already within us. The only thing we can do is make sure they do not conquer us and take over us entirely.

That is difficult because whenever I accidentally show symptoms of any one of the Seven Sins, the community judges me and crumbles my confidence for ever recovering. Friends will walk away and I feel lonely and helpless.

I have to keep reminding myself this is not permanent, I need to get up again and fight it. I need to remember that whenever I am beaten, I was once strong and persevered through worse.

On the other hand, whenever I am standing up strong with happiness and harmony, I need to remember that I need to prepare for the next fall and make sure I remember the good times will always be back as long as I keep fighting.

I am weary, at such a young age, I am already weary. It pains me that I know that this cycle can never be broken in this life. However, as good friends say, treasure the moment, treasure the present. It is a gift of today that matters. Not of yesterdays of tomorrows.

Thank you for those who stayed with me through the hard times. For those who did not, I pray that you will never be haunted by your own vices.

No comments: